Nutritional values of Saskatoon Berries
HEALTH BENEFITS OF SASKATOON BERRIES
- Saskatoons contain high levels of antioxidants thought to act as a protective guard to our immune system
- Labratory tests have shown that Saskatoon berries and products contain high ORAC values (Oxygen Radical Absorbance Capacity – a test that attempts to quantify the total antioxidant capacity)
- Research indicates antioxidants help to neutralize major free radicals in our bodies to reduce the incidence of some diseases which may include diabetes, heart disease and cancer.
- Antioxidants are thought to defend against inflammatory illnesses and reduce oxidative stresses associated with aging
- Saskatoons contain twice the antioxidant level of blueberries
- Research is indicating that the comsumption of saskatoon berries can provide measurable improvements in reducing disease incidence, deliver measurable improvements in blood sugar levels and provide cholesterol lowering activity.
A REVIEW OF THE NUTRITIONAL BENEFITS OF SASKATOON BERRIES
The article Flavonoid Profile of Saskatoon Berries (Amelanchier alnifolia Nutt.) and Their Health Promoting Effects, reviews a large number of studies on Saskatoon berries.
Anti-inflammatory – due to high anthocyanins and proanthocyanidins
Protection against cardiovascular and chronic inflammatory diseases – because the phenolic compounds reduce the oxidative stress mediated by nitric oxides
Potential anti-diabetic – Saskatoon berries strongly inhibited an enzyme involved in the etiology of diabetic microvascular complications
Potential in anti-cancer therapy for esophageal, colon, skin and lung cancer
To access the review or to download the full-text PDF, click “access review”